If prosecco and champagne give you a headache, but you don't want to give up the pleasure of bubbles then read the effective remedies in this article about two of the most appreciated wines in the world.
You have to buy prosecco or champagne but you don't know which one to choose to avoid the headache? To enjoy the festivities, you just need to take some precautions and above all know the causes of the headache triggered by "bubbles.
Let's clear the field of clichés.
Why does the headache come after drinking prosecco or champagne?
There are those who say they are intolerant, those who blame the sulfites, those who give up a flute of prosecco or champagne not to "mix" with the red wine served at dinner ... In fact, these are not the causes of headaches that presses, after drinking these fine white wines.
The migraine that can occur after taking prosecco or champagne is due to the presence of biogenic amines. These are substances released naturally during vinification. During this process, the lactic bacteria contained in the must or wine give rise to these nitrogen compounds, derived from specific amino acids.
Biogenic amines can have undesirable effects on some people and destabilise the general wellbeing of the body (without serious consequences, however): headaches, nausea or abdominal cramps disappear within a few hours or the next day at the latest.
What is often ignored is that these same biogenic amines are also present in many foods and sometimes in concentrations higher than those of prosecco or champagne! Fish, certain types of vegetables, fruit juices, meat and cheese ... Our body is naturally predisposed to the detoxification process, so it does not suffer negative effects from the intake of these substances. On the contrary, amines are an active presence within our body and are indispensable to perform important physiological functions (they regulate body temperature, stomach pH and brain activity, for example).
So what happens when drinking prosecco or champagne? Why doesn't the body eliminate the amines and the infamous headache breaks out?
There are two main problems:
- The amounts ingested are high and the massive presence of ethanol does not allow the amines to be eliminated.
- The detoxifying action by the body is not activated due to, for example, the concomitant intake of drugs.
To this should be added that, in the case of particularly sensitive people, if the prosecco or champagne is tasted during a dinner based on foods rich in amines (fish and cheese first and foremost), the mix becomes explosive and general discomfort and discomfort arises.
What are the most common biogenic amines?
- Histamine: it is inflammatory and the main cause of headaches. It can also cause nausea and vomiting, rashes and respiratory problems. It is found in yeast extracts, canned fish, cheese, tomatoes and spinach, tofu and ketchup.
- Tyramine: in addition to triggering migraine, it causes hypersalivation and hypertension. It triggers the particular process of vasodilation/vasoconstriction that makes intracranial pressure unstable and gives a sense of drunkenness. It is found in bananas, avocados, plums, oranges, raspberries, tomatoes, sausages, fish and cheese.
- Phenylethylamine: causes migraine and increases blood pressure. It is present in fermented foods and chocolate.
Prosecco or champagne headaches: remedies
If you do not want to give up a glass of bubbles, the important thing is to take a few small steps to limit the possible occurrence of unwanted effects.
- Avoid combining it with the wrong food: if you are particularly sensitive then it is better to avoid eating fish (especially mackerel), red meat, chocolate or fruit, if you have decided to celebrate a special evening with "bubbles".
- Sip some water at the same time: don't forget to keep a glass of water handy, to be sipped before the prosecco or champagne. It maintains a good level of hydration, which limits the onset of headaches. This is for the simple reason that liver detoxification occurs through the skin (sweat) and urine: water, from this point of view, helps in expelling toxic substances.
- Do not ingest more sugar at that time: the combination of sugar with prosecco or champagne amplifies the migraine. No matter how much it costs, you will have to give up...If you prefer a good flute to sip, it would be better then to avoid sweets and cake during the party.
To conclude, we have cleared the field from clichés and included the mechanism at the base of the headache, after sipping a glass of prosecco or champagne.
Only in proven cases of allergies should alcohol consumption be strictly avoided.
It is important to know, however, that allergy to ethanol is very rare and therefore still little studied. If, on the other hand, intolerance is triggered by yeast (more precisely, by the substances released during leavening), then these white wines should be avoided. At the same time, however, you must be careful to eliminate bread, pizza, biscuits and cheese from your diet and not blame only the wine!
If you are a lover of bubbles, then it is not the case to deprive yourself of this pleasure for life.